We’re back on the CSA Bandwagon after a break from the holidays. Just before getting our box, my weekly newsletter from Food52 showed up advertising a Kale Salad with Apples and Hazelnuts which just sounded delightful. I’m always looking for something new and interesting to do with kale–I usually throw it into a soup, but having it in a salad sounded really interesting. Of course, when today rolled around and it was time to make dinner, I didn’t necessarily have everything that the original recipe called for, so I… improvised. And it was good. So, I thank the fine people at Food52 for the excellent inspiration! This salad worked very nicely with the broiled salmon and parmesan broccoli that were on the menu, and we knew we had something because Kiddo ate it (always a sign of success).
Kale Salad with Apples, Pistachios & Dried Cherries
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Lacinato Kale, washed and cut into 1″ ribbons
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Pistachios
- 1/4 cup Dried Cherries
- In a large bowl, pour in vinegar and honey and whisk until incorporated; add in olive oil in a slow stream while whisking constantly until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add kale and toss until leaves are completely coated with vinaigrette. Set aside for about 1 hour to let leaves break down slightly.
- Peel, core, and slice apple; toss into greens, adding nuts and cherries. Serve immediately.